KOTA KINABALU: The Sabah Tourism, Culture and Environment Ministry will check on the upgrading status of the tourism spot, Tip of Borneo in Kudat which was closed last year to allow for renovation works.
Its minister Datuk Christina Liew said she would investigate claims that nothing has been executed on the ground, but someone was collecting a RM10 entry fee from visiting tourists.
There were also claims of vandalism, as a copper signboard was also reportedly missing from this popular spot.
“It was not brought to my attention previously but I will investigate this matter,” Liew said after officiating an ethnic solidarity seminar in conjunction with the International Mother Language Day celebration at Lok Kawi near here on Tuesday (Feb 21).
Located about three hours’ drive from the state capital, the Tip of Borneo or Tanjung Simpang Mengayau as is known locally is the northernmost tip of Borneo and marks the meeting point of the South China Sea and Sulu Sea.
The spot is adjacent to a beautiful beach and offers scenic views of the sea, and is popular for both domestic and international tourists.
It previously hosted the Sunset Music Fest and the Music and Surf Festival.
Last year, it was reported that the tourism destination was closed to the public effective Jan 28, 2022, to allow for renovation works to enhance and improve the facilities there.
The then-state tourism, culture and environment minister Datuk Jafry Ariffin said they had obtained funding approval under the 12th Malaysia Plan (12MP) state project development, which would include resting huts, walkways, toilets, viewing platform, souvenir shop as well as a reception and information centre.
There was, however, no timeline or deadline of the project completion.