KOTA KINABALU: Sabah is still putting the health of its people on the forefront as the state continues to woo tourists from other countries in an effort to revive the state tourism industry.
Sabah Tourism, Culture and Environment Minister Datuk Christina Liew said efforts included meetings and discussions on health policies that could be implemented in welcoming domestic and international tourists to the state.
“We will not compromise on people’s health as safety comes first.
“There will be rules on the necessary precautions for implementation through travel agencies and tour operators,” she said in a statement on Tuesday (Jan 24).
The Api Api assemblyman added that such measures would also cover the operations of tour guides, logistics providers, transporters, restaurateurs, souvenir shops, public parks and tourist spots.
On concerns about unlicensed camping sites here to prevent incidents like the Batang Kali landslide that claimed 31 lives late last year, Liew said she would discuss preventive measures with Sabah Parks.
This included advising Sabah Parks authority to seek holiday sites that were not properly licensed “to do the right thing”, she added.
“We need to work on this aspect because we don’t want that (Batang Kali landslide) to happen in Sabah,” Liew said.