KUANTAN: A heist did not take place in Genting Highlands as rumoured, say police.
Bentong OCPD Supt Zaiham Mohd Kahar said police had conducted an investigation and confirmed there was no robbery as claimed in messages circulated on social media.
“The Bentong district police headquarters also confirms that no such report was lodged,” he said in a statement on Wednesday (Aug 31).
“I have checked with the (Resorts World) Genting management and it was a technical issue involving some sort of shutter door.
“There was a video claiming that there had been a robbery with a helicopter involved and I would like to deny that anything of the sort occurred,” he said.
Supt Zaiham was responding to a video of a man speaking in Hokkien circulating online.
In the video, the man questions why the casino is closed and wondered whether it is due to a robbery or a fire.
The man also claims that the cable car service had been shut down and guests cannot check into their rooms because the counters are closed.
“We ask for the cooperation of everyone not to make any speculation or spread false information that may cause annoyance or disturb public order,” said Supt Zaiham.
In a notice posted on its website, Resorts World Genting said that there was an incident involving the triggering of a false fire alarm.
“On Aug 30, 2022 at approximately 1.30pm, the fire shutters at the SkyCasino entrance came down due to the triggering of a false fire alarm. The matter was resolved within 15 minutes,” read the notice.